Thursday, March 6, 2014

Omlette Curry

My family loves eggs. Each morning the 3 year old son eats two eggs, the father eats two eggs and even my father eats two eggs. Once in a blue moon when I have verified that nobody's had any eggs in the morning, I don't spare them. My motherly instinct wants to feed them eggs and I end up making my delicious Omelette curry.
When I was younger, I always thought that my mom introduced this recipe, who eats Omelette's in curry?! Over time I realized that it is pretty much a common recipe. You may not get it in restaurants but figures in quite a few cuisines. It is cooked in bengali houselholds (Omeletter jhol) and even keralites cook it. Well, I know the bengali way and that's what I am going to share with you.

For an Omlette curry, you need:-

OMLETTES!! Yes - main ingredient!
Make omlettes with 3-4 eggs, cut the omlettes into halves and keep them aside

Onion paste using 1 onion
Ginger and garlic paste - 1 tsp
Sliced Onion - 1 small
Large Potato - 1, cut into small chunks
Tomato - 1, cut into small pieces
Vegetable Oil - 2 tsps
Green chillies - 1 or 2
Coriander - chopped for garnishing

Masalas:-
Coriander powder - 1tbsp
cumin powder - 1 tsp
Garam Masala - 1 tsp
Red chilli Powder - 1 tsp
Salt
Whole garam masala - Cinnamon, cardamom and cloves - 2 pieces each
Bay Leaf - 1

Here is how you cook:-


  • In a kadhai, heat the oil and the add the whole garam masala, bay leaf and let the spices crackle
  • Add the chopped onion and add the potato chunks
  • Saute for 3-5mins
  • Now, add the onion, ginger and garlic paste and cook for another 3-4 minutes
  • Add the masala and tomato and saute for good 5minutes till the masala looks red and the oil starts to separate
  • Now, add 1.5 cups of water and salt
  • Let the curry simmer and the potatoes should get cooked
  • When the gravy starts thickening and the potatoes are soft, add the omlettes and stir the curry well
  • Let them cook in the gravy for 5 mins and switch of the gas
  • Add the coriander for garnishing and cover the curry with the lid for another 5 minutes
  • Serve hot with boiled rice or roti



No comments: