Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Solkadhi

Since I am a Delhite in the true sense, a pink drink would definitely mean Rooh-A-afza with milk. Yes, the one which punjabi moms make for their kids during hot Delhi summers. When I came to Mumbai, I saw it being served sometimes in a bowl and sometimes in a glass with a tiny coriander leaf floating gently on the top. I seriously couldn't understand why Rooh-a-Afza milk was being served with Dhaniya! But, before I could investigate, I came to know it is not what I was thinking, but a drink called SolKadhi which is made from Kokum flowers and hence, its' beautiful pink color. SolKadhi is a refreshing appetizer drink and has got a bit of spice attached to it, but is great for digestion too. Here is what you need to make a refreshing glass of Solkadhi:


1 Cup Coconut Milk
2 cloves of garlic
1 green chilli, chopped into tiny pieces
8 petals of Kokum
a few coriander leaves
water
Salt

Soak the kokum petals in little water for some time, till you get a deep maroon coloured water. In a blender, add the coconut milk, 5 Tbs of water, garlic, green chilli, salt (according to taste) and grind it for couple of minutes. Add this mixture to the kokum water and blend it again for couple of times. Solkadhi is ready! Serve it with a few coriander leaves in a glass or a bowl.

No comments: